Sunday, February 28, 2021

TWF 312 - Farewell to Mr. Kight.

 Greetings, friends,

As I am sure many of you heard, Mr. Ernest J. Kight Jr., former Principal of Freeport High School and President of the Freeport School Board.  Mr. Kight was an assistant Principal at FHS when I was a student there at the turn of the millennium, and was the Principal for a chunk of the time when I worked at the high school, myself.

I'd like to tell a quick story that will hopefully encapsulate a bit of what it was like to work with him.

I once had to report graffiti in one of the bathrooms.  It turned out to be pretty innocuous, but one can never tell when first stumbling upon something.  As I was concerned about the content of the graffiti and wanted to make sure it was seen, I went - well - directly to Mr. Kight's office.  He made himself available immediately, then came with me to read what was on the walls, take pictures, and thanked me for bringing it directly to his attention so that it could be documented and cleaned up.

Aside from that, I know he was passionate about Freeport for a number of reasons.  For one, he himself was a student at Freeport High back in the day.  For two, he could always be seen at school sporting events, which brought an excitement to his eyes that's hard to tell someone about because words just kind of fail to spell it out.

Photo courtesy of Freeport Schools website.


I wish to extend my deepest condolences to his family, and my best wishes to all those who knew and loved him as we mourn at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment