Friday, December 23, 2016

TWF 270: Condolences to the De La Cruz Family.

Freeporters,

There are no words which can do this tragedy justice, but after heavy consideration I feel like it is a story I have to write.  Today, or perhaps more appropriately last night, Freeport Police officer Sandy De La Cruz took her own life.  She served both New York City and our community for eleven years.  She served with honor.  She served with a husband and two children.  Last night, at the most difficult part of the year, her watch ended in the most rueful way.

I cannot pretend I knew her.  I cannot pretend, despite whatever I've experienced in my own life, that I understand what ultimately killed her.  I do know, however, that suicide is a fatal symptom of a deeper disconnect that, without a much greater context, must not be viewed solely from the perspective of the outsider.  It's natural for us to speculate on what caused her death in that terrible moment, but out of respect for her family we must demonstrate our strength by simply standing beside them, lending them our warmth and allowing the illumination of time to give them an understanding of her last days and moments.  It is a painful undertaking, aching in ways I cannot imagine.

We must do this in order to better prepare ourselves to help others who struggle with self-destruction.  I can only speak from personal experience, but if we honor the memory of those who have passed by treating each other with kindness and Humanity we will absolutely better help those who struggle with these beasts.

I am far from the best and only person to speak on this, but let us honor her life, and may she find her peace in the afterlife.  If I can do anything for the family, simply reach out to me and it will be done.

I beg anyone who struggles with these issues - be it depression, anxiety, or suicidal ideation - to seek help immediately.  You are not alone.  You are not too far gone to be helped.  People do care, and they will help you get through it.  The National Suicide Hotline phone number is 1-800-273-8255.  Call, please.  It gets better.


2 comments:

  1. This is very nice of you! may god bless you all the days of your life
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. May she RIP. We are grateful for her service to the Freeport Police Department.

    ReplyDelete