Saturday, September 3, 2016

TWF 265: Preparing For Hurricane Hermine

To all,

Hello!  It's been a while!  I'm posting this mainly because of a sense of nostalgia, but also because our community is once again facing a very serious hurricane threat and I felt obliged to do my share in pointing it out.  Without further ado:

Hermine.


As ABC News points out, it's a major "post-tropical Cyclone" (or something specific), but is expected by NJ.com to strengthen back into a Hurricane.  The below image, courtesy of Channel 7's Accuweather, is a depiction of the Tropical Storm warning for our area heading into Labor Day Weekend.

I'm no meteorologist, but from what I have read over the course of preparing for this storm, it is roughly comparable to what we experienced with Hurricane Irene:  Approximately four foot storm surges, serious rain and significant winds.  In short:  This is no joke.  Take this seriously, make sure your yards are clear of debris and make sure you have at least a flashlight and some batteries.

I believe we've been through this situation enough in recent years that we know how to handle it, but in the unlikely event this becomes a severe situation, don't panic.  Damage can be repaired, homes can be rebuilt, but our common heritage as Freeporters will never be broken.

On future updates and old posts.

I'm afraid I'm not coming back to do the blogging thing, as I'm unable to call Freeport my home any longer, however I may use this blog from time-to-time to alert people to emergency situations effecting our region or other significant news regarding our community.

Additionally, I may make some of this site's prior reporting available again on a limited basis, depending on what I feel is significantly important to Freeport's history.  In particular, I'm mainly considering making my live-blogging of Hurricane Sandy available, and working with my old co-conspirator Jason Bass to make sure his amazing video of that era is out there.

Finally, I want to offer a belated condolence to the family and friends of Shawn Oliver, who I remember from Freeport High School.  Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment