Saturday, September 17, 2016

TWF 267: I'm speaking at Adelphi University about The Weekly Freeporter and more!

Hello, Freeport!

I hope you're ready for an announcement that's left me, honestly, stunned!  Well, you've read the headline already so chances are you know!  On October 6th I'm speaking at Adelphi University about my experiences in hyper-local journalism and politics (it's a non-partisan event!).  That's right!  You've heard me correctly!  It's an awe-inspiring event, so let me give you the details.

The Details

What:  "Decisions 2016:  Why your vote matters at all levels"
When:  Thursday October 6th, 2016, 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Where:  Adelphi University, Blodgett Hall room 201
Who:  Well...

The History Department, in particular Dr.  Cristina Zaccarini, has been helping us organize this and is far and away an incredible person to work with.  She's written three books on China and, well, her faculty website profile will do more to tell you about her than I ever could.

Our headline speaker is Jamie Diamond, a close friend of mine and a fellow alumni.  She was heavily active in the Buffalo For Bernie movement (now called Liberty Union Progressives), where she helped organize events in support of Bernie Sanders' run for office.  I wrote about some of the things she was up to over on The Daily Kos.

We're hoping to add a number of current students to our list, including, hopefully, campus Democrats and Republicans.  We might even get a former candidate or two to join us!

As for me?  I'll be talking about what I've experienced with The Weekly Freeporter.  I'm probably going to re-enable some old articles for viewing, especially the Hurricane Sandy stuff, but that's a time consuming prospect (you've gotta remember, I've written over 250 articles, here, and I have to comb through them myself after work some day).  Since we're all (mostly) Freeport people here, right?  The list of interesting topics includes...

 - How The Weekly Freeporter got started.
 - Garbage for Gold
 - Hurricane Sandy


So if you want to hear my honest thoughts about those fun times, what it was like to cover them, and why it's so essential that you know your local politicians and be engaged with the county and state levels of politics, come on through!  See you in about half a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment