Thursday, January 10, 2019

TWF 292: The Weekly Freeporter in 2019!

Greetings, friendly readers!

I hope you are all enjoying the new year, so far, and that the holiday season has rolled over into a great time for you all.  Allow me to take you back to 2010.  While that mission statement still holds (Although I've had the extraordinary pleasure of working with others on this effort!  If you'd like a shout-out to what you do, please feel free to let me know and it's done!), the truth remains that The Weekly Freeporter is not slated to return to full, weekly publication.

The main purpose of The Weekly Freeporter since its professional retirement as a regular publication in 2015 has been to, in a very limited way, provide the following efforts, when possible:

 - A signal-boost for people looking for help with solving crimes.
 - A signal boost for people looking for help with finding pets.
 - A signal boost for charities hosting benefits.
 - A signal boost for official government events.
 - A source of information in the event of weather emergencies.
 - An occasional source of critique for significant news developments and acts of gross, public dishonor.



In 2019, I intend to maintain very much the same distant, occasionally-commenting approach.  To be honest, this is mainly a business decision:  The Weekly Freeporter is patched into Google's Adsense program, but in all sincerity this publication has yet to pay for the hand-held tape recorder I bought for board meetings and interviews back in 2010.  Very simply, "I need to have a real job, and this alone is not viable."


However, maybe there's a way you can help!

I oftentimes get notifications that people are interested in posting events on either The Weekly Freeporter's  Facebook 'page' or 'group,' since both are different things.  Many of these things fit the above categories, but every so often someone will actually be trying to promote their businesses.  Perhaps they're having a sale?  Perhaps they're hosting an event?  At any rate, these are people with for-profit ventures who want to be successful, and I think that's great!

However, since my writing is my for-profit venture (Amazon Author Page), I would instead be open to a "Sponsorship" system.  If you are interested in sponsoring a The Weekly Freeporter article, I am personally available on Twitter, as well as through the two Facebook groups I listed in the previous paragraph.  I cite Editorial Freelance Association rates for research, so if you want to sponsor a relatively simple article that would be a bit different than sponsoring a larger project, and/or sponsoring multiple articles.  It goes without saying that I will consult you on the content of the article/project, but I retain all creative authority.

I can think of at least one project I would very strongly love to see sponsored, but cannot execute independently because of how in-depth it would be.  It's the kind of project that I think you would agree would help a lot of marginalized people, including in Freeport, and would follow up on some of my prior research done for this article (which actually followed up on this one) about school taxes.  Suffice to say, there are a lot of inequities on Long Island and I would love the chance to do research and get to the bottom of it, but I'd need sufficient backing.


And that's about it!  I wish you all a great new year, and hope you are all happy and successful in trying to make positive changes to the world!


Jesse Pohlman is an author from Long Island, New York.  He has a brand-new webpage you can check out at this link!.

No comments:

Post a Comment