Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sandy #14 - Bay Park Sewage Treatment Emergency

Freeporters,

I was hoping to be done.  To write a little fiction for a change, maybe to fall asleep.  Nope.  Thanks to Debbie Becker and her re-posting of a Newsday Article, it's come to our attention that the Bay Park Sewage Treatment Plant is experiencing serious if not crippling problems.

Excerpt:  "Raw sewage has begun to seep into some homes served by the Bay Park Sewage Treatment Plant, and officials have begun diverting effluent into Rockaway Channel after the facility was flooded by superstorm Sandy."

Ed Mangano has also released a public health warning.  This is a bit less direct in explaining how serious this problem is, but it serves the purpose.  DON'T WASTE WATER.  I know we aren't, but still.  Any water that goes into the drain, or even into the local water table, adds just a tiny bit more pressure into the plant.  If the plant can't process what it's taking in, it'll back up - and all hell will break loose.

I know it seems like a distant problem, but if this plant gets crippled it will make our recovery a thousand times worse.  I know I'm guilty of underestimating this particular issue, and I apologize for my share in it, but do what you can to cut back on water now and save us down the line.

If you have any information, contact us.

No comments:

Post a Comment