Monday, October 29, 2012

Sandy #6: NYC Nightmares, Approximate Landfall Time

Freeport,

I need to be kind of quick, here, because where I'm at my power is a little unsteady.

First things first; as reported by Breakingnews.com, a construction crane in NYC (57th street, 7th avenue I believe) has been seriously damaged.

Image via Breaking News

This incident being broadcast all over the place, though my broadcast-of-choice is WABC Eyewitness News.  With these high winds (at that altitude, with that exposure, they can hit 100 MPH), it's almost impossible to think of fixing the crane at this point.  That means it can fall.  That means if you're in the area, take care of yourself.

Additionally, WABC suggested that Hurricane Sandy's landfall is going to be in approximately three hours.  (6:00 PM).  It should be hitting about in the Jersey Shore area (Inappropriately timed jokes?  Nah.), which is a little bit better than a direct hit on Long Island - for us, but not for Jersey.  Atlantic City has been hit hard, from what I'm hearing.

As reported in my last update, high tide is going to be at about 8:00-9:00 PM, and it's a full-moon as well.  That means we're getting about the maximum height we can get out of this storm.  Wind gusts can hit up to 70+ miles an hour, and that's a conservative estimate.  I've heard up to 90, but those are hard to sustain.

Once again, there's not going to be any schools open in Freeport, tomorrow.  That's a good thing.  At this point, if you need to get any emergency supplies, you have maybe an hour before it's completely insane.  Stores are being closed as we speak, and if you aren't prepped by now, well, it's not good.  Don't go out unless you absolutely need to.  Stay away from windows.

Be safe.  Unless (until?) I go dark, I'll be keeping people posted on every scrap of information I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment