Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sandy #9: Rumors and Reporting

Greetings,

As I just got power back on at my Hurricane Hideaway, I wanna share what I've heard versus what I know for facts.

I've heard of multiple house fires, caused by water hitting electrical boxes I suppose.  Some of these rumors are definitely true, though some have been dismissed as "potential problems" that never manifested.  To those that lost homes, my best wishes are with you.

Moving on to the subject of lost businesses, I'm afraid the news isn't very good.  On the radio (880 AM I believe, I could be wrong as the radio's display is busted.), I heard that Tropix Nightclub and the Fiore fish market burned down.  Sadly, those are probably realities.  I also know that, fires aside, the Village elected to cut electricity to the southern part of the Village to prevent further outbreaks.  The problem is this may have damned some peoples' homes, people who had pumps set up to bail out their basements, before the water got to the first floor.

Then again, it couldn't be helped.  Ninety percent of Long Island was out of power, though clearly it's coming back online relatively rapidly.

My colleague Jason and I are going to (Very carefully!  No driving into floods for us!) do some surveying of the Village to see what the state of it all is, and maybe bring back some pictures.  We're not professionals, so don't expect us to go swimming in the Canal!

Be safe.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know anything about The Schooner collapsing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have NOT heard anything about The Schooner. From what we saw while we were down there, the building looked a bit beaten up, but intact. We didn't get a great look at the roof, however.

      Tropix and Fiore Bros' are, sadly, gone.

      Delete